Registration of Person’s Act 2015 stipulates that
- A parent, guardian or the person having charge of a child, shall immediately after the date of birth or finding of a child notify the registration officer for the purpose of registration of the birth of that child.
- A birth not registered immediately, shall not be registered unless the registrar is satisfied as to the truth of the particulars and is directed to register them by the Executive Director.
It’s therefore the duty of parents or Guardian to inform the Authority at any given time, the birth of child between 0-15years.
NIRA REQUIREMENTS FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR UGANDANS WITHIN:
BIRTH CERTIFICATE FOR UGANDANS ABROAD/DIASPORA REQUIREMENTS
- A certificate of birth issued by the appropriate authority in the foreign country, with an English translation of the certificate if it is not in English; Or
- if a certificate of birth are not issued in the foreign country, a certificate of the birth given by the doctor, midwife or other persons who attended to the birth, with an English translation of the certificate if it is not in English; Or
- if there is a Uganda Mission in the country abroad, a certificate of an officer of the Mission that the officer is satisfied, from the evidence produced and inquiries the officer has made, that the particulars of the birth given in the certificate are correct
Any of the above is required for NIRA to process for Ugandans in the diaspora Birth Certificates.
BIRTH CERTIFICATE AMOUNT & TIME
- For Ugandans—> Ugx. 5,000
- Foreigners within—>$20 USD
TIME: Due to backlog, sometimes the Period can stretch from 4 days-30-working-days.
BIRTH CERTIFICATE DECENTRALISED TO REGIONAL DISTRICTS.
To bring services closer to people, NIRA has decentralised the application for Birth certificates to Regional District including Mbarara, Arua, Jinja, Gulu, Kabale and Mbale
NOTE: All the above information holds at the time of writing this article but changes in Requirements can change at the Discretion of NIRA under unusual circumstances if the Birth Registration officer is not satisfied with the above requirements.
For Free Guidance on: NIRA services, Passport/Immigration Issues, Permit and other Gov’t Programs, WhatsApp (Strictly) on 0706145023 or Follow me on Facebook “MR. FIXER-Xpress” For Daily Updates